The Direct Dual BA between UC Berkeley and Sciences Po offers highly qualified students who have already enrolled at one of the Sciences Po campuses an opportunity to continue their education at UC Berkeley. In lieu of the traditional third-year abroad requirement, admitted students spend two years at UC Berkeley, enrolled full time in the College of Letters and Science. Upon the successful completion of their studies at Berkeley, Dual BA Direct Program students will earn two bachelor's degrees, one from each institution.
About the Dual BA Direct Program Process
All Dual BA Program students, regardless of whether they are admitted through the first-year application process or through the Direct process, may transfer up to the equivalent of 70 UC Berkeley units from Sciences Po (or other eligible university-level coursework) toward the fulfillment of Berkeley's undergraduate degree program. Students will spend their two years at Berkeley completing University, College, and Major requirements.
By enrolling in the Dual BA Direct Program, students are demonstrating their commitment to complete both years at Berkeley. Upon successful completion of the program, students are awarded two bachelor's degrees, one each from Sciences Po and UC Berkeley. The Sciences Po diploma is not awarded prior to the completion of the two years at Berkeley. Graduates of this program, are guaranteed admission to a master's program at Sciences Po.
Dual BA Direct Program Cost
During the two years of study at Berkeley, students will pay full Berkeley tuition and fees.
The total cost (tuition/fees/living expenses) to attend Berkeley as an international/non-resident student for the 2018/2019 academic year was approximately $64,000. Neither Berkeley nor Sciences Po guarantee financial aid. For more information about fees visit the Berkeley International Office expenses page. For more information on financial aid see here.
Please note- Students are responsible for paying all expenses relating to the program. It is advised that candidates give serious consideration to their ability to pay prior to applying to UC Berkeley.
Application for Dual BA Direct Program
This partnership is open to Sciences Po students currently enrolled in their second year of undergraduate studies, provided they have validated their two years of study by July 2020. In applying for the Dual BA Direct Program, students are agreeing that enrollment in this program is their first priority, followed by the classic third year abroad. Strong candidates will have demonstrated academic excellence both during their high school years as well as their first year at Sciences Po.
There are two applications to complete: The “Sciences Po” application, which is not online and the “Berkeley” application, which is online.
1. "Sciences Po” application deadline: Tuesday, November 5, 2019, at 12h, CEST. to be sent out to email@example.com
Please prepare the following documents (all must be in English or accompanied by English translations prepared by the applicant):
- Photocopy of bac results summary (or equivalent), translated into English by candidate
- Photocopy of transcripts from Sciences Po and any other universities attended, translated into English by candidate; for double cursus students, please make sure credits are indicated on all transcripts.
- Photocopy of TOEFL IBT results (minimum 100) or IELTS results (minimum 7)
- Autobiographical Essay (1000 words): Tell us about your educational history, work experience, present situation, and plans for the future. Please make sure to address why you have chosen to pursue the Sciences Po-Berkeley dual B.A. program, and what you believe you can contribute to it. Successful essays should identify and describe elements of the program – academic or otherwise – that meet your needs as a student, and also explain why this partner program is the right program for you.
- One letter of recommendation, in English, from a Sciences Po professor (not a language instructor, please): must either be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the professor, mailed by post to her attention, or hand delivered to her by the student or the instructor in a sealed envelope at the Center for the Americas.
2. "Berkeley" online application deadline: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 18h, CEST.
The "Berkeley" online application is also known as the "University of California General Application". Applicants may start working on this application effective immediately; however, the completed application cannot be submitted until November 1, and is due on November 5. Be sure to apply as a TRANSFER STUDENT and not as a freshman applicant!
Link to application: HERE
Go to "Create a New Account" to do just that.